By Peter E. Knox
- Features greater than 30 newly commissioned chapters by means of famous students writing of their components of specialization
- Illuminates a number of features of Ovid's paintings, corresponding to creation, style, and style
- Presents interpretive essays on key poems and collections of poems
- Includes certain discussions of Ovid's fundamental literary affects and his reception in English literature
- Provides a chronology of key literary and historic occasions in the course of Ovid's lifetime
Read Online or Download A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Lament turns out to were common within the historic global. As such, it really is an exceptional touchstone for the comparative learn of attitudes in the direction of loss of life and the afterlife, human relatives to the divine, perspectives of the cosmos, and the structure of the cloth of society in numerous instances and locations. This selection of essays bargains the 1st ever comparative method of historic Mediterranean and close to japanese traditions of lament.
Literary opinions of Murasaki Shikibu's eleventh-century the story of Genji have frequently taken with the amorous adventures of its eponymous hero. during this paradigm-shifting research of the Genji and different mid-Heian literature, Doris G. Bargen emphasizes the thematic value of Japan's advanced polygynous kinship approach because the area during which courtship happens.
Transporting Chaucer attracts at the paintings of the British sculptor Antony Gormley along extra conventional literary scholarship to argue for brand spanking new relationships among Chaucer's poetry and works through others. Chaucer's playfulness with textual heritage and chronology anticipates how his personal paintings is figured in later (and past) texts.
Das kulturelle Wissen um Formen der Stellvertretung und Substitution umfasst Denk- und Wahrnehmungsmuster, die in den komplexen Erzählzusammenhängen des mittelhochdeutschen Prosalancelot einen thematischen Leitgedanken generieren, der in Fragen der Sinnkonstitution, Figurengestaltung und Erzähltechnik neue Akzente setzt.
- Homeric Epic and its Reception: Interpretive Essays
- Tiere und Fabelwesen im Mittelalter: Zu ihrer Bedeutung in Wissenschaft, Religion, Geschichte, Bildender Kunst und Literatur (German Edition)
- Beauté du merveilleux (La) (Collection Mirabillia) (French Edition)
Additional info for A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Peter E. Knox